In class today, we talked about ways to "sparkle and shine" through choosing to be active. It was great to hear about all the bike riding, hiking and swimming that had been happening during the week! And one child had gone on a 7 mile run - wow! The best part was seeing how excited the kids were about being active and how it made them feel good about themselves. It's a reminder that, as parents, we need to get our kids moving - it's good for the body, mind and soul!
Here are some tips for increasing physical activity for you child (many are great tips for grown-ups as well!):
- Encourage your child to move at every opportunity.
- Create an environment for active play both inside and outside the home.
- Participate in activities the whole family can enjoy together.
- Expose your child to as many different kinds of activities as possible in a non-intimidating environment.
- Provide opportunities for your child to climb, run and jump to develop muscular strength and bone density.
- Reserve a specific time each weekend dedicated to fun family fitness activities.
- Don't draw attention to sedentary activities with negative comments - instead, praise your children when they choose active play.
- Be a good role model - set a good example by participating in healthy physical activities.
- Enroll your child in a structured dance, sport or movement class (such as ZumbAtomic!)
*Tips adapted from Trim Kids by Melinda S. Sothern, Kristian von Almen, and Heidi Schumacher